Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Community service post #3

I finished my 10 community service hours on Monday 12-12-11. My older cousin Jessi is a special ed teacher for kindergartners/first-graders at a small school an hour from my house. I left school pretty early yesterday (1230ish) and drove to her school. My cousin always says she has volunteers helping her/observing her classroom because she built this program that helps special needs children from all areas and all types of special needs, and most of the students commute to her school because they aren't even in her district. I was really excited to help her out and volunteer in her classroom because I want to be a teacher one day, and I love working with kids and helping them learn.

When I got to her class, I immediately jumped into their routine. Some kids left class and I went with them, and we made up dances and songs and played for a little. It was really nice working with these kids because I could tell they loved goofing off and I had a lot of fun just playing around with them. When we got back to the classroom my cousin asked if I could help the kids as they went into stations with writing, drawing, reading and then the last one was math. I helped the kids in reading, and read them stories and then their favorite (Where's Waldo books). It felt so nice to spend the rest of the school day with these kids. Jessi also has the after school program for kids that have working parents and since they commute far to go to her class, they stay later and they do all these activities. We took the kids to the gym in the elementary school and played freeze tag and simon says and all these other games with kids. I really liked helping her out at her school, and can't wait to go back next semester and visit those kids again for a day! It was a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment