Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Community service #2

This weekend, I continued to finish up my 10 hours of community service. I asked my mom and sister to give me all the clothes they never wear anymore, and I also went through my closet and grabbed some old shirts and shorts, and decided I'd donate it to Plato's closet. I went on friday with Lauren A. and Taylor N.  from sociology class, and even though the drive was far and we got lost we ended up staying at the store for a while! I watched as they sorted all the clothes we brought to them and felt really good about getting rid of clothes and knowing that other people can have them. We ended up going twice, once on friday and once on saturday. Since we knew what kind of clothes the store was looking for, we went around to our friends' houses and dug through our closets again to bring more clothes to Plato's closet. It felt really nice that I was able to bring clothes to a store where people could buy the clothes at a cheaper price that they can afford.

After going to Plato's closet on friday, Lauren, Taylor and I used the money we got from selling our clothes to buy canned food and toys to bring to a charity event called "Stuff-A-Bus". We knew about this charity because my dad's hockey team the Chicago Steel does community service every weekend and had asked for volunteers for this event. We didn't really know what to expect when we got there because all we were told was to bring toys and canned food. We ended up spending 3 hours outside collecting food, toys, blankets and other necessities, literally stuffing the bus. I was so surprised by the amount of things random people brought in to donate--all these blankets, and toys. Things that I was always provided with, and never even thought about really. I learned a lot from helping at this charity event, like all the little things that not everyone has, and I certainly won't take any of it for granted anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment