Saturday, December 10, 2011

Community Service post #1

On Tuesday December 6, I had the opportunity to go with Ms. Breuer and 15 other kids to a soup kitchen. I honestly had no clue what it was going to be like helping out there, I just thought I'd help serve food food somehow. I expected there to be a lot of homeless people coming in at random times just kind of coming to get and take food, and then leave. But that's really not what happened when we got there. First, a man kind of told us what would be happening at the soup kitchen. Like how they were serving brotworsts and chili and potato pancakes with syrup. And there was also salad out on the tables. We were told that we were going to actually serve the people who came in...like we were their waiters at a restaraunt. He also told us that were was going to be 70-100 people coming in that night for food. I honestly didn't expect that many people coming in to the soup kitchen. At first, I was really nervous talking to some of the people that sat down at the table I was working because I didn't know what to say, but everyone was so polite. I guess that was one thing I didn't expect. A lot of the people who came in said hello, and asked how I was, and seemed really curious about me. I felt really good when I started serving the food. Everyone I spoke to that night was really appreciative of what I was doing for them. Going to a soup kitchen is something I would like to do again. It makes me realize that some things such as having dinner on the table at home is something I shouldn't take for granted, because not everybody has that luxury. I could tell that even talking to the people I met that night put them in a better mood, and for me that was the most rewarding part of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment