Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Who am I...... x2

At the beginning of the semester we were supposed to define who we are. I re-read my blog and realized I said a lot of generic things like I wanted to go to college. I said what I wanted to do in the future, but I didn't really talk about how I am the way I am. Taking Sociology made me realize that I'm influenced so much by my surroundings: my family, friends, classmates, teachers...etc. Our lives are all intertwined, and we affect one another even if we don't realize it. I realize now that I'm following the norm that my family has set for me (a norm that not everyone has since we're all different): going to college. I know now that maybe if I grew up somewhere else, I wouldn't have the opportunity to go to college. I always thought my family influenced my life just because I live with them, but now I realize that they really, really influence me. How I was raised, what my goals are for the future, all of those factors depended on the people I surround myself with. I learned the importance of being sociologically mindful and how doing little things for others really does go a long way. Taking Sociology &doing community service made me realize that it's really rewarding to go outside my social norm. I learned how rewarding it is to keep an open mind with everything I encounter. I took sociology because some of my friends recommended it, but I'm really glad I did because it was one of my favorite classes!

2 comments:

  1. I never realized how much we are influenced either. It was a great learning experience for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how we all know that we are influenced by our family, but after taking this class you go into a deeper meaning and realize more of why you have been shaped! Sociology is one of my favorite classes I have taken! :)

    ReplyDelete